Zoology is an interesting subject to learn. It is the branch of biology which deals with the study of animals. The NEET examination syllabus has equal distribution of class 11 and class 12 syllabus and that simply means that the NEET aspirants can expect an equal number of questions from class 11 and class 12 NCERT Zoology syllabus. To get through the NEET examination the students need to learn the important concepts and topics. Here in this blog, we would like to introduce some tips for the NEET aspiring students for their Zoology preparation
NEET Zoology Preparation
Before we start with the NEET preparation tips, we need to understand the chapters that fall under Zoology. The chart given below shows the Zoology chapters and the number of questions that had been asked from each of the chapters.
Students often consider the chapter ‘Animal Kingdom’ as a nightmare. The reason behind this is the vastness of the chapter. There are lots of examples and characteristics to be byhearted. There are a few tips and tricks to study this chapter. Following are some tips that you can use while studying Animal Kingdom.
- Learn the names of different phyla first. Follow the same order given in the NCERT textbook.
- Prepare neat and tidy notes
- Identify common characteristic features, group them together in the form of a flow chart or table.
- Learn exceptional cases.
- Learn the basic classifications first and after you make yourself thorough with it move on to different phyla. You can prepare a flow chart as shown below for learning the basic classifications.
- Create your own mnemonics to study examples for each phylum.
- Daily revision is a must if not you will end up forgetting all the examples.
- Learn common names as well as scientific names.
- If you can relate to images and remember the features, it would be good. For example, segmentation is a feature of Annelids. If you are able to relate this to the image of an earthworm, things would become much easier.
- Make sure you work out practice questions on the very same day you study a phylum.
- Do not burden yourself by studying too many phyla on the same day instead split it down and study as per your convenience.
- Whatever you are studying, make sure you are learning it properly. This is one of the high weightage chapters in Zoology so take your time and prepare it perfectly.
Compared to Botany, Zoology is much easier to prepare as there are lots of chapters where you can relate and study. Since your ultimate goal is to become a Doctor, all of you would be interested in the unit “Human Physiology”. This is one of the well scoring units. Given below are few tips that you can use while studying human physiology.
- You divide the entire unit on Human Physiology into two
- Easy to grasp chapters
- Difficult to grasp chapters
- Easy to grasp chapters are those chapters that require less effort from your side. These chapters will not consume much time. The chapters that fall under this category are:
- Digestion & Absorption
- Breathing and exchange of gases
- Body Fluids and Circulation
- Chemical coordination and Integration
- Difficult to grasp chapters are those chapters that require additional effort and consumes time. The chapters that fall under this category are:
- Excretory Products and elimination
- Neural control and coordination
- Locomotion and movement
- You can start with the easy to grasp chapters in the order given above and then you can move on to difficult to grasp chapters.
- While studying the chapter, Locomotion and movement, it is always better to study with the help of diagrams. You will have to learn the names of lots of bones here in this chapter. If you have a diagram as shown below, you will find it easier to study the number of bones and location.
- You can prepare the remaining chapters of human physiology using infographics. For example, if you simply byheart double circulation, it would be difficult for you to recollect it. Instead, if you are able to put it in the form of the below diagram, you will be able to recollect it easier.
You will find lots of such images in the lesson segment of the Basidia app. Concepts are simplified and well explained in the form of stories. You can also relate to real-life scenarios in the same segment and can make your preparations less hectic. You should always look for ways to simplify learning. For example, you might take 30minutes to byheart a big paragraph on muscle contraction theory and the concept of dark and light bands but if you are able to relate it to something in real life, you will be able to understand the concept in just 10 minutes or so.
Once you complete Animal Kingdom and Human Physiology, you will be left with just two chapters from class 11th Zoology- Structural Organisation in Animals and Biomolecules. These are easy chapters. In structural Organisation in animals you have to focus on:
- Animal tissues
- Morphology and anatomy of Cockroach
- The chapter Locomotion and movement cover topics on muscles but still, you can read through whatever is given under muscles in the chapter structural organisation in animals too.
- Note: Earthworm and Frog are not included in the NEET syllabus.
In the chapter, Biomolecules, you will have to focus on the following concepts:
- Zwitter ion
- Amino acids
- Nature of linkage
With this, you will be done with class 11 Zoology. Moving on to class 12th topics, you will find it much easier compared to class 11 topics. You will find only the unit on Biotechnology a little difficult since you will be studying Biotechnology for the first time. Once you read the NCERT textbook, you will find this chapter also easy. Given below are few general tips that you can follow while learning class 12 Zoology topics.
- Be thorough with the NCERT textbook.
- Prepare neat and tidy notes
- Do not miss out on any figures given in the NCERT textbook
- Be sure with labellings
- Split difficult concepts into small segments and study
- Revise all tables and figures given in the NCERT textbook daily.
- Even when you are learning class 12 topics, allot 30 minutes every day in the morning only to revise the chapter Animal Kingdom from class 11th. By doing so you will not forget the already learnt characteristics and examples.
- Always draw and learn figures so that you can simultaneously learn the labellings too.
Basidia has always played a vital role in the process of learning. We have stood with students from the very first day, lending our ears out to the difficulties they face in their studies. We hope this blog could help you in your preparation and we expect you to make the most out of this. We wish you all the best for your NEET examination.
Reimagine, rethink and prepare with Basidia. We will be there for you at any time to help you out.
Basidia – Best App for NEET UG Preparation❤️